Photo and Story by DJ Marbaker
This week residents received word that Brick’s Market would close. George and Jean Brick originally opened their doors in 1957. The local favorite has been on East Tioga Street in Tunkhannock borough since 1970. Since 1997 the store has been run by George and Jean’s daughter and son-in-law Lynn and Paul Reynolds. They now say it’s time to close up shop.
The news that Bricks would close at the end of August was tough for the customers who shop there. Numerous posts on the market’s Facebook page are a sign the hometown store will be missed. With Bricks closure it also means Wyoming County is down to a handful of “hometown” markets. Around 40 people will also lose their jobs due to the closing.
Although many people are saddened by the fact they’ll soon lose their favorite store in town there are nothing but good memories for patrons. The delicious cakes, the friendly staff, the fact that Bricks helped many different organizations and causes around town are being remembered. Bricks was the store you wouldn’t mind having to stop at. While it’s sad to see the store closed, one can’t help but be happy for Lynn and Paul in their retirement.